Thursday, February 4, 2010

Agave Azul: Where South Orlando Hangs on Tuesday nights


In an otherwise normal mall off Conroy and Kirkman road's intersection lies Agave Azul. At first glance, the outside ambience of a patio, blue hues, and potted palm trees is probably promoting a Miami-style atmosphere. I suspect that this place was for a relaxed dining. So, I decided to take a friend out for a casual dinner on a weeknight.

We went to grab a bite around 7:30pm and this place was already packed. Upon seating, I promptly asked for a margarita and jumped straight into the main course as I had already done my homework on them online (by the way, everything matched up- price points, selections, and specials).

I ordered the Quesadilla Guadalajara with grilled steak. It was good- no complaints. But what truly surprised me was the side of rice that was neatly present on one corner of the dish. It was dotted with bellpeppers, beans, and onions. If there wasn't minimal chewing involved, I would say it melted right in my mouth. So delicious and enticing was this elixir, that I quickly forgot about the quesadilla as I had never had such perfect Mexican rice in my life.

On the other side of the table, my friend wasn't hungry. He ordered a $5 taco salad which was surprisingly filling. I ordered Churros for dessert to give him something more to munch on. That was probably the best spontaneous decision of the evening. I was astonished to find how mouth-watering they were. Soft on the inside, cinnammon crunchiness on the outside, two different dipping sauces (purists will find virtue in sticking to the chocolate one)- it was a perfect ending to our meal. I would go back just for the rice and the Churros. If you were in my shoes, you'd be sounding crazy like the previous sentence too.

The service was decent though spotty at times. I kind of surmised that he was overwhelmed by the throngs of people in his section so I'm not going to downplay his efforts.

I think this place is packed because of value AND ambience. In tough economic times, Agave Azul has a smart business concept that lures people in for value and keeps them there for a tasty bite enshrouded in a casual-chic layout.

IN A NUTSHELL- The Mexican rice is a must try. It comes as a side portion to many of the main entrees. This is a place to hang out with your neighbor and meet a few others that you probably noticed at the local grocery store. Tuesday night is $2 margaritas.

Agave Azul on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I go to Agave at least once a week and you are completely right. The rice is amazing and the atmosphere is conducive to a long entertaining meal with friends. The staff is always friendly, specially at the bar. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Orlando.

    ReplyDelete

Followers