Sunday, March 14, 2010

Guavate: Mediocre except for the Sorrullitos de Queso


This is a classic example where the hype overtakes the experience. I’m a lover of Puerto Rican food. When UrbanSpoon listed this place for its top picks around town, I immediately put it on my wish list. It didn’t matter that this place was on the other side of town- surely, I thought, if the food is expected to be good, the miles don’t count at all.

I researched this place ahead of time as usual. The website had their online menu available and I planned exactly what I wanted to sample from the wide selection of food they offered. Upon arrival, I was regrettably informed that some of the dishes (I wanted the Surrullitos de Maiz but was also informed by the waitress of a few other dishes) that were unavailable. This was not a good start to what I expected a brief but joyous encounter with Guavate.

Upon my server’s suggestion, I opted for the Surrulitos de Queso and some Pastellilos de Carne. The later was nothing to write home about. Rather, it was quite bland- an absolute lack of sazón. Furthermore, the muddled salsa-like dip that it was accompanied only confused my tastebuds even more. A beam of hope appeared with my teeth sank into the Surrulitos de Queso. Slightly crispy, not too greasy, and popping with piping hot cheese, these were the stars of the appetizer course. The light sweetness of the corn imparted addictive synergism with the melted cheese goodness encased in a perfect little package. I was so impressed that I ordered FOUR more orders of this delicious work of craft (you only get 2 small surrulitos per order).

I opted for the Pernil lunch portion and again I was not impressed. If I hadn’t gone there with any expectations, I would’ve reviewed this part of the course as mediocre. However, my tastebuds were anticipating a perfectly cooked, melt-in-your-mouth, pork dish. Instead, I was presented with a moderate portion size with one crispy skin bit to munch on. Granted, this is probably a chicharón amuse-bouche for the lunchtime customer, but the Pernil didn’t upstage the crispy skin. Rather, the skin eclipsed the mediocre Pernil. A tragic (yes, that would be the best word to describe what I felt at that very moment) culinary move that brought the entire eating experience crashing down (if it weren’t for the company, this would have been the finale). The Tostones included in the order were dry and required many sips of water to down one bite. I neither finished my main dish nor requested carry-out boxes- this meal could not have been revived even if a defibrillator was handy.

To round things off, I requested the Tembleque for the both of us. Again, it was average- sweet, dense, and dusted with cinnamon, it was nothing special.

IN A NUTSHELL- Go to snack on the Surrulitos de Queso. Everything else was quite forgetful and unmissed.

Guavate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers