Saturday, April 24, 2010

SMOKEY BONES: SMOKEY WINGS AND CHEAP


Smokey Bones has done a 180 since being dumped by Darden. It’s evolved into a semi-sports bar that still keeps some of its casual Darden dining feel. Smokey Bones has definitely changed up price points. All of a sudden, I feel like a little chick wanting to scream- CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

The smoked wings were great and so were the beer specials. Yes, gentlemen, please get rev up your beer bellies for Smokey. I had a “big boy” Miller Lite for $2.50 and that’s not all- liquor was also a bargain at $5 for a double shot of Absolut. Let’s just say this place has the blue collar people in the Fashion Square Mall area smiling cheek to cheek.

Smokey has a lot of specials that change daily-heck, even hourly. We were there early afternoon and missed their happy hour (between 4-6pm) half-priced appetizers. As I recall, they have trivia night every Thursday. So much going on, so little time…
From a foodie perspective, their barbeque sauces were notable. From about 4 different ones that they land in front of you in squeegee bottles, I thought the honey mustard went perfectly with the wings. The sauce was a great elixir of mild mustard spice with a soothing lip-smacking sweetness. I just couldn’t have enough of it. When I depleted my wings, I even experimented with the sauce on celery sticks.

IN A NUTSHELL- Guys, this place is decent and cheap. Did I mention, cheap? The number of flat screens they have are proportional to the number of specials they have. Ask for their barbeque spice-rub shaker- it tastes exactly like the powder you’d find on barbeque potato chips. I hang out at the bar and the service is always awesome. Somewhere, Ale House execs are worried about their competition…
Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers