Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Venezia: Pizza seems to be the way to go

I should’ve wondered why 3 out of 4 tables around us had ordered pizzas instead of the other options on the menu. Even more bewildering is why I didn’t order it when Venezia’s fire-oven is clearly visible from the entrance.

I suppose it was a calculated folly. Instead, I chose the tantalizingly sounding Gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce ($13.50). For appetizers, the standard Caprese ($8.95) was requested and for the finale, a Lemon Cake (torta de la Nonna- $6.95).

The Gnocchi was yummy. Like soft pillows of dough, they glided down the throat with great ease. The sauce, however, beckoned for more cheese.
The Gorgonzola flavor was not adequately prominent- it felt like it was thinned down with more cream than one would desire. My companion noted that if crumbs of Gorgonzola were used as a garnish atop the Gnocchi, it would have greatly improved the dish.

The Caprese was standard.
The adjoining clump of Arugula on the plate actually imparted a great herbaceous bite. With a few dustings of freshly ground black pepper and a touch of balsamic vinegar, the appetizer quickly vanished in my mouth. Mmmmmmmmm. Satisfaction.






‘Lemon Cake’ at Venezia is actually a torte.
The flavor was good, but the dessert was very cold and hard. It felt like it was brought out of the freezer not too long before I laid my eyes on it. When I asked the server about the dessert, she mentioned that the torte wasn’t in-house, but locally bought.

IN A NUTSHELL: Pizza seems to be the name of the game here- they have about 18 varieties. Satiating for two, I think I’ll be ordering this next time… especially for a beautiful summer night on St. Armand’s Circle in Lido Key. The décor inside is tasteful but if you want to munch and people-watch, outdoor seating is the way to go. For service with a smile, ask for Laura.
Venezia on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers